Saturday, March 30, 2019

- How much for the pocket knife?

-
---------------------------- -  2327      - How much for the pocket knife?
-
-
-
--
---------------------------- -  2327  - How much for the pocket knife? 

-  When I was 10 years old I was in the garage with my Dad and I was admiring his pocket knife.  It had a bone handle and there blades.  I still have it today.  But, my Dad first told me that he could not “give” it to me.  If he did that and I cut myself he would feel bad.  But, he said if I bought the knife from him then I would feel responsible for myself .  So, I went up to my bedroom and emptied my mason jar to get the money.  If you solve the problem that follows you will learn how much I  paid for the pocket knife:
-
----------------------
-
-    Gene and Lukas sold their herd of cattle and received as many dollars
     for each animal as there were cattle in the herd.  With that money
     they bought a flock of sheep at $10.00 a head and then a lamb with
     the rest of the money.
-
-    Lambs cost less than $10.00.  Finally , they
     divided the animals between them, with Lukas  obtaining  an extra
     sheep and Gene got the lamb.
-
-    Lukas felt sorry for his friend Gene who got
     stuck with the lamb and gave Gene his pocket knife as even
     compensation.  What was the pocket knife worth?
   
  -  Solve the problem to learn ,or, send  request to learn how much I paid for the pocket knife.
-
     ----------------   here is the solution:
-
 -    n = the number of cattle
-
 -    n = the price of each cow
-
 -    n squared  =  the total value or price of the herd of cattle
  - 
  -   The number of 10's in “n square” is the number of sheep and “n square/10”
     must be an odd number because there is one sheep left over.
   - 
   -  Here is where it gets tricky:
-
-     Start squaring numbers, since “n“ is the number of cows and ‘n squared “ is the total price for the cows:

-     “n^2”  =  4    16      25      36      49      64      81      100     121     144 
-                                                                           
-        196     256     576     676     1156    1296
 -   
 -    When you divide by ten dollars to get the number of cows and the number of sheep must be an odd number  because there was a remainder to pay for the lamb that is left over, so this leaves :
 -   
 -   16   36      196     256     676     1156    1296      They all end in
     six with this particular series.
 - 
  -   Pick any one.  Say Gene and Lukas had $256 worth of cows.  That was 16
     cows, because 16^2  =  256.     So with that money they bought 25 sheep  at
      $10 each with one lamb left over when they split these up.
-
-    Lukas has 13 sheep worth $130.  Gene has 12 sheep worth $120 plus a $6 lamb.
-
-     Lukas owes Gene another $4
-
-    So the lamb is worth $6.  It is a $4 addition that we need to try to even things
     out.  Lukas gives his dad a $2 pocketknife.  He is less $2 and his dad
     is plus $2.  The $4 difference is the split we needed to even things out.
-
-  I still have my $2 pocket knife that I paid for with my own money.  And, I still
carry the lesson learned that I need to take responsibility for my own actions.
-
-  April 6, 2019.                   
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----  Comments appreciated and Pass it on to whomever is interested. ----
---   Some reviews are at:  --------------     http://jdetrick.blogspot.com ----- 
--  email feedback, corrections, request for copies or Index of all reviews
---  to:  ------    jamesdetrick@comcast.net  ------  “Jim Detrick”  -----------
-  https://plus.google.com/u/0/  -- www.facebook.com  -- www.twitter.com
 ---------------------   Saturday, April 6, 2019  -------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------






1 comment: